The new virus Chuck Norris got its name through an Italian programmer’s comment: “in nome di Chuck Norris,” meaning “in the name of Chuck Norris.” Norris is a well known U.S. Martial arts actor. The malware, discovered by Czech researchers, spreads through routers and DSL modems, according to Jan Vykopal, the head of the network security department of Masaryk University’s Institute of Computer Science in Brno, Czech Republic.
The unusual thing with this virus is that it infects DSL modems and routers rather than the PC. The botnet installs itself on routers and modems by randomly getting the default administrative passwords remotely. D-Link Systems devices were identified as the main vulnerable device.
Chuck Norris, like Psybot, can infect satellite TV receivers and an MIPS-based device using Linux operating system if its administration interface has a weak username and password. Infected machines can be used to attack other systems on the Internet, through a distributed denial of service attacks. Chuck Norris botnet lives in the router’s RAM, it can be removed with a resetting the device.
For more information about this virus, check the PC World.
Other related articles you may like:
Servers are specialized computers based on their functionality. This specialized function of servers allows the effective distribution of access. The following are the different kinds of servers classified based on their application.
- DNS Server is responsible for maintaining the logical address mapping of the network devices.
- Application Server contains the business objects and programs that run the business processes. This usually communicates with a database server for storing and retrieval of information.
- Database Server stores the database ready for storage, retrieval and update.
- Workflow/Mail Server stores the applications used by organizations in facilitating their business processes. Workgroup software like Outlook Express and Lotus Notes are executed in this server.
- Web Server is a generic machine that distributes a particular application over the web.
- OLAP Server is used to manage the data market or warehouse. It provides answers to queries.
- Firewall is a host machine that is connected between the local area network and the internet which serves as a shield from external attacks.
- Video On Demand (VOD) Server is used to store contents for streaming video. Files commonly stored are MPEG2 and MPEG4 formats of video. VOD can be used to assist Web based training programs and E-commerce applications.
- Certificate Server is used to verify the validity of digital certificates issued. Verisign is an example of well known Certificate Authorities (CA) represented by Certificate servers.
- Merchant Server handles orders and payments of e-commerce transactions.
Uninterrupted power supply or UPS is a very critical device used to safeguard our computer units from unacceptable power surge. It is also very useful during unexpected power interruption, so that files can be saved and pc can be shutdown properly. Most UPS emits an audible alarm to provide users with a proactive warning of its current status. Occasional single beep, indicates that the UPS is working normally and is protecting the load.
Herewith are some simple guidelines to help maintain your computer and keep it running smoothly. This article discusses the tools available in Windows 7, Vista, and XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to efficiently maintain your computer and safeguard your privacy online.
Do you experience that after inserting a USB flash disk, you will be asked to reboot your computer so that your device will be recognized? Windows operating system has this feature called Safely Remove Hardware(SRH) that stops all read/write processes on a removable device like a USB flash disk. This feature prevents damage to data being written or accessed when you remove the USB device. Read the rest of this entry »