Oprah Winfrey‘s reported comments on the recently concluded Miss Universe 2011 will surely put a black eye on this year’s result if this is really true.

Miss Universe 2011 crown was given to Miss Angola Leila Lopes.

However, the high profile celebrity, Winfrey, reportedly expressed her disappointment with the final results of the Miss Universe 2011. Twitter and Facebook posts say that she specifically pointed out how the contestants answered in the question and answer portion. Oprah expressed her favor on Miss Philippines Shamcey Supsup over the rest of the Top 5 contestants.

Below is Oprah Winfrey’s reported comments on the Miss Universe 2011 as stated on Twitter and Facebook posts.

I have a reservation with the result. If the only basis is the Q & A portion, after having been trimmed down to 5, Miss Philippines deserve to win. What made her different from the rest is that she had no seconds to re-think of her answer as she had no interpreter to break the ice. The rest had their interpreters and having breaks on seconds to think about their answers. Hands down, Miss Philippines answered straight to the point.

Note: The above quote was taken from several social networking sites and as of posting, neither Oprah nor NBC has confirmed the accuracy of the statement.

Update: Oprah Winfrey’s camp denied that the host made a comment about the Miss Universe 2011 Results
Related blog post: Miss Universe 2011 Question and Answer Portion

Comments

1. 1
    icabit // September 13th, 2011 at 7:23 pm

yeah oprah was right!

2. 2
    ramon // September 13th, 2011 at 7:25 pm

one of the commentators even said that MS PHILIPPINES ANSWER BLEW HER AWAY!

she should have won!!

3. 3
    izzy // September 13th, 2011 at 8:26 pm

they should put the website or source where the said statement was given. Just to make sure that indeed Oprah said it. Otherwise, it’s a shame for everyone who is spreading this thing LOL. Nevertheless, i agree with the statement. Indeed Shamcey should have won.

4. 4
    Jeany // September 13th, 2011 at 9:28 pm

that’s what i wanted to see..just to confirm if this is indeed true, otherwise, it’s pathetic that they are using Oprah to gain leverage over this decision. Show us the source, where in NBC, i went to nbc news and there is none, not even in the archives.

5. 5
    kalburo // September 13th, 2011 at 9:30 pm

isabel is tat u? lol

6. 6
    kim // September 13th, 2011 at 9:55 pm

You are right Ramon, one of the commentators said. “Miss Philippines awaken me with her answer”.

7. 7
    ann // September 14th, 2011 at 12:01 am

miss universe pageant officials and organizers should implement the “no interpreter” rule…the candidates are representing not only their country but the universe…haiystttt….whats the essence of BRAIN and beauty of this pageant???

8. 8
    Erwin // September 14th, 2011 at 12:54 am

I can’t find the source of this so called statement.

9. 9
    Leng // September 14th, 2011 at 3:26 am

I’d like a link as well to be attached to this statement…I’ve checked the fb page but no such statement..Pinoy ako but I’m not a fan of all the sour-graping that’s been happening…throughout my shift at work that’s all I’ve heard…it’s takes out the fun of our very own making it to the top 5…so if anyone can please post a link please do so

10. 10
    James Lincoln // September 14th, 2011 at 4:03 am

Ms. Winfrey, the final question is not the sole determining factor when judging Miss Universe. Judges are to consider all aspects of the pageant judging when marking their final ballot.Miss Angola won because the concensus of judges determined she was the the best. I agree.

11. 11
    lovely andres // September 14th, 2011 at 6:32 am

I agree to Miss oprah. Most beauty pageant and it’s the practice of Miss universe pageant even before to rely on the final Q & A portion to decide who will win the crown after choosing the best 5 depending on their performances in talent, swimwear,etc. And most of them (final 5 or three of them) included “respect” on their answers. It’s impossible that they were not able to understand the interpreters’ even in part because English is a must for them to learn.

12. 12
    annabelle lesaca // September 14th, 2011 at 7:48 am

iTS BEEN A KNOWN FACT THAT IN AN INTERNATIONAL BEAUTY PAGEANT a lot of politicking has been happening….. esp. when the candidates comes from a poor country. I agree with Ms O I’ve been watching pageants my whole life observing how they judged, analyzing why this person won etc… most likely the deserving always loses cie la vie

13. 13
    annabelle lesaca // September 14th, 2011 at 7:51 am

And before they reaches the top 5 slot…. they alraedy have made it that far because they received thumbs up with the swimsuit, long gown, and talents competition, then all scores are back to zero and the Q & A will then decides for the winner. ITS BEEN A KNOWN FACT THAT IN AN INTERNATIONAL BEAUTY PAGEANT a lot of politicking has been happening….. esp. when the candidates comes from a poor country. I agree with Ms O I’ve been watching pageants my whole life observing how they judged, analyzing why this person won etc… most likely the deserving always loses cie la vie

14. 14
    ZARED // September 14th, 2011 at 9:26 am

IDIOT! read oprah’s statement again! “If the only basis is the Q & A portion”

15. 15
    nogood // September 14th, 2011 at 9:36 am

Miss Angola answers was out of context..The questions was, “If you could change one of your PHYSICAL characteristics, which one would it be and why? And check it out her answer: “Thank God I’m very well satisfied with the way that God created me and I wouldn’t change a thing. I consider myself a woman endowed with inner beauty, I have my principles, I have acquired many wonderful principles from my family and I plan to follow these through the rest of my life and now I want to give all of you a piece of advice: Respect one another”..inner? principles?Respect one another?is that what she understand PHYSICAL characteristics? Anyways, congrats!!Judges just go with the crowd..

16. 16
    ann gie // September 14th, 2011 at 10:45 am

Shamcy may have another mission for her and that’s in God’s hands…as Miss Universe, the winner will be promoting primarily the sponsors. With her position, Shamcy can be requested by any advocate and she can be of help to their cause. Shamcy is a model of women in this time of modernity. She can well represent how a good woman can be despite the image of a modern woman. Shamcy is a person who cling to her faith, no matter what. That’s what most Filipinos are known for. She can a good wife and a good mother, in the future.

17. 17
    MAKOY // September 14th, 2011 at 11:18 am

Granted that the only basis for the top 5 is the Q and A, then Miss Supsup should have ranked higher than 3rd runnerup based on the relevance of their answers. But if if the judging was based on the overall scores from long gown, swimsuit and fan voting where Miss Supsup consistently rank in the top 3. What happened to the result?

18. 18
    Joel McCpll // September 14th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

She should have been the last if you think about it. The title is Miss Universe (not Miss Religion, not Miss Roman Catholic) and that means that she should show a lot more flexibility and tolerance when it comes to religious belief. It was all right when she said that she would not change her religion for love but to say that the other person has to love her God if he truly loves her is an unfair statement. If you are not willing to change your religion, why would you force another person to do it? The Miss Universe will have to meet a lot of people of different culture and beliefs and religious tolerance is obviously a necessity.

19. 19
    eritkidoem // September 14th, 2011 at 5:35 pm

@Joel Mc Cpll

does we have different god? different religious belief but not a different god. what she just meant with her answer ( HE SHOULD LOVE MY GOD TOO) is that whatever happen she wouldn’t change her religious belief & if the guy really loves her, he wouldn’t force her to change her religious belief & just accept as it is. same as with the guy, shamcey wouldn’t force him to change his religion belief, she would accept or respect his religous belief same as her it bcoz she loves the person & beside they/we are just have one “GOD” no matter what kind of religion we had…

it so funny the 4 other contestant had an interpreter vs Ms. Philippines who doesn’t. That’s why she’s been “MISINTERPRETED” lolz…………

20. 20
    felix franco // September 14th, 2011 at 7:27 pm

it was a result of racial discrimination. foreigners do not look up on Filipinos. that’s the true reason.

21. 21
    DABAWENYA // September 14th, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Yes indeed Ms. Philippines answers the question much more appropriately than the others (without an interpreter and she does speak calmly and thoroughly) BUT THE JUDGES ARE RIGHT. Her answer would have landed her in the last place, her answer is racist and very offensive I would say. I’m a Roman Catholic and I marry a MUSLIM MAN. I totally don’t agree with her answer “If he loves me he should love my God too and If he’s not I wouldn’t marry him” THAT’S RIDICULOUS. I didn’t ask my husband to love Jesus as I love him, and my husband didn’t ask me to love Allah as he loves him. You don’t ask someone to love your God if he/she loves you the important thing is YOU RESPECT AND ACCEPT EVERYONE’S RELIGION AND THEIR GOD EVEN YOU HATE IT.
    My husband don’t love my Jesus and I don’t love Allah too but we respect each other and embrace everything about each other.

22. 22
    Kris A // September 14th, 2011 at 11:53 pm

i hate oprah

23. 23
    cleo // September 15th, 2011 at 7:31 am

pls.understand the question maybe you dont listen

24. 24
    cleo // September 15th, 2011 at 9:09 am

your right eritkidoem!supsup dont say change your religion

25. 25
    larry boy // September 15th, 2011 at 10:44 am

I don’t agree to the comment that Ms. Shamcey’s answer is a racist remark… Religious belief is different from ethnic or nationalistic persuasion. In the Philippines, there are those living in Mindanao who are either Muslims or Christians but they may be sharing the same patriotism, that is, love for their motherland and Filipino culture. Ms. Shamcey’s answer is just an expression of her principle that above all else or in the scale of values, she put at the zenith her love to her Creator, such that her love for herself, her would-be-better half and loved ones only come next. We have varied names and nomenclatures of (as there are varied beliefs on how to describe) our so-called Creator. For our Muslim brethren, the name of the almighty and benevolent God is “Allah”, for differently grouped Catholics, they would call Him “Yahweh/El Shaddai” or “Father of Jesus Christ” in heaven; for our Buddhist brethren, He is called “Buddha”, and so on and so forth… Just like our Muslim brothers or sisters who love Allah more than anybody and anything else, Shamcey loves her believed Creator more than anything else. That is not a racist view, but a principle shared by those who put love and gratitude for God above everything else. For Shamcey that is an outward manifestation of what she stands for: “Without God, I and everything I have would have naught.” She’s just attributing what she has and would have to God her Creator.

26. 26
    HELEN // September 15th, 2011 at 11:58 am

I totally agree with you larry boy. Your comment should serve as an eye opener to those who disagree with Ms. Shamcey’s answer.

27. 27
    Lau // September 15th, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Judging the Q&A is too complex and intriguing as if different races has its own belief and why it has to be different questions in every contestant?. So every individuals has their own bet who really owns the crown and the final decision will just depend to the judges belief and being lucky if the question is easy. So i suggest it is much better to include also some sort of voting and the overall performance in the pageant must have an advantage too. For me all answers of the top 5 finalist is deserving but for me i think the Miss Philippines is much excellent. It is just being criticize by others with the mixture of some religious things.