Brazil has now won three in a row in the Men‘s Volleyball World Championships by beating Cuba in straight sets 25-22, 25-14, 25-22.
Since the World Championships in 2002, Brazil has won 15 out of the last 17 major international competitions. They only failed in the 2008 Olympic Games and World League. Italy is the only other team to have earned the the three-peat in 1990.
The lopsided win came as a surprise because Cuba dealt the Brazilians loss in the tournament’s first pool stage.
Cuba committed 27 errors against 14 for Brazil that spelled doom for them.
Serbia earlier, has taken the bronze medal by beating hosts Italy, 3-1.
Here is the Complete Results of the 2010 FIVB World Volleyball Championships:
- Czech Republic
Individual Best Player Awards
- Most Valuable Player: Murilo Endres (BRA)
- Top Scorer: Iban Perez (ESP)
- Best Server: Clayton Stanley (USA)
- Best Spiker: Maxim Mikhaylov (RUS)
- Best Blocker: Robertlandy Simon (CUB)
- Best Setter: Nikola Grbic (SRB)
- Best Libero: Ferdinand Tille (GER)
Highest Scorers By Day
- Day 1 (1st Rd): 28 points by Antonin Rouzier (FRA) in France’s 3-2 win over the Czech Republic in Turin
- Day 2 (1st Rd): 27 points by Maxim Mikhaylov (RUS) in Russia’s 3-1 win over Australia in Modena
- Day 3 (1st Rd): 28 points by Fernando Hernandez (CUB) in Cuba’s 3-2 win over Brazil in Verona
- Day 4 (2nd Rd): 24 points by Gyrgy Grozer (GER) in Germany’s 3-0 win over Puerto Rico in Catania
- Day 5 (2nd Rd): 30 points by Iban Perez (ESP) in Spain’s 3-2 win over Russia in Catania
- Day 6 (2nd Rd): 23 points by Ahmed Abdelhay (EGY) in Egypt’s win against Spain in Catania
- Day 7 (3rd Rd): 25 points by Murilo (BRA) in Brazil’s win over the Czech Republic in Rome
- Day 8 (3rd Rd): 26 points by Ivan Miljkovic (SRB) in Serbia’s win over Russia in Florence
- Day 9 (3rd Rd): 28 points by Vladimir Nikolov (BUL) in Cuba’s win over Bulgaria in Florence
- Day 10 (Semifinals): 26 points by Iban Perez (ESP) in Argentina’s win over Spain in Florence
- Day 11 (Semifinals/Finals): 30 points by Ivan Miljkovic (SRB) in Cuba’s win over Serbia in Rome
- Day 12 (Finals): 22 points by Ivan Miljkovic (SRB) in Serbia’s win over Italy in Rome
Highest Set Score
- 34-32 (EGY v JPN in Pool A) (CUB v BRA in Pool B) Both matches played on September 27.
Highest Scoring Matches
- 233 (BUL v CUB in 3rd Round) 2-3 (25-22, 23-25, 28-26, 28-30, 11-15) played on October 6 in Florence
- 231 (FRA v BUL in 1st Round) 3-2 (25-22, 23-25, 25-17, 28-30, 19-17) played on September 26 in Turin
- 230 (CUB v BRA in 1st Round) 3-2 (34-32, 18-25, 23-25, 25-21, 15-12) played on September 27 in Verona
- 228 (JPN v EGY in 1st Round) 3-2 (32-34. 23-25, 25-19, 25-17, 15-13) played on September 27 in Milan
- 226 (SRB v CUB in Semifinal (1-4) 3-2 (25-22, 17-25, 29-31, 25-22, 14-16) played on October 9 in Rome
Tournament Top Scorers
- 173 Iban Perez (ESP)
- 168 Vladimir Nikolov (BUL)
- 168 Ivan Miljkovic (SRB)
- 162 Maxim Mikhaylov (RUS)
- 157 Facundo Conte (ARG)