Ever wonder why you constantly see the new Philippines president name as President Benigno S. Aquino III, rather than, President Benigno C. Aquino III?
It is quite confusing to see that President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III is using ‘S’ (for Simeon) as his middle initial rather than ‘C’ (for Cojuangco). ‘S’ is part of President Noynoy’s given name Benigno Simeon which is also the given names of his grandfather and father, both of which uses ‘S’ as their middle initial. Although the practice is to use the mother’s maiden name, President Noynoy uses ‘S’ as his middle initial rather than ‘C’ that belongs to her mother’s maiden name, Cojuangco as part of the tradition. Using ‘C’ as his middle name would mean changing that tradition of which he is not keen on doing.
The President’s father, the late Senator Benigno Simeon “Ninoy” Aquino Jr. was an opposition leader during the time of the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos. He was assassinated on August 21, 1983 at the former Manila International Airport, later renamed Ninoy Aquino International Airport in his honor. Aquino Jr.’s death resulted in a popular uprising which led to the ouster Marcos and the installation of his wife, Corazon, as President in 1986.
Meanwhile, the President’s grandfather Benigno S. Aquino Sr. was a prominent member of the World War II Japanese collaborationist government of José P. Laurel, according to online research sources. The President may be proud of his name but does not want it and his image being used on government programs and projects. President Noynoy has directed all government agencies “to refrain from associating the President’s personality and identity in their programs and projects.”
Other related articles you may like:
- Executive Order No. 3 | Signed by Philippines President Benigno Noynoy Aquino III
- Executive Order No. 2 | Issued by Philippines President Benigno Noynoy Aquino III
- English Translation of President Benigno ‘Noynoy’ Aquino III’s State of the Nation Address | SONA
- Complete Transcript of P-Noy State of the Nation Address | Full Text SONA of Benigno ‘Noynoy’ Aquino III
- President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III First State of the Nation Address | P-Noy’s 1st SONA
- President Noynoy Aquino sings “Watch What Happens” and “Estudyante Blues” | Inaugural Concert
- President Benigno Aquino III | Noynoy Aquino Inauguration | Inaugural Speech in English and Original Version