Passport Application Requirements

Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 | MISCELLANEOUS with 9 Comments

machine readable philippine passportI just finished my application for the renewal of my passport and I will be able to get it in 6 working days.  I was at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Philippines office in Roxas Boulevard around 8am and I was finished by 10:30am.  That is quick isn’t it?  How come it’s that fast?  I will be sharing with you below some of the things you need to prepare before applying for a new passport or renewing your old passport personally or through the e-passport appointment system.

General Requirements:

  • Personal appearance is required except for applicants:
    • 7 yrs old (exact) and below
    • 65 years old and older
    • mentally or physically incapacitated with medical certificate, to be filed by an immediate family member with Authorization  Letter and proper valid IDs.
  • Three (3) colored photos with royal blue background. Photo size:  4.5cm x 3.5cm. Facial image size:  3cm-tip of head to chin; with 8-10mm head clearance from top edge. Ears and forehead should be visible. Wearing of accessories, colored contact lenses or eyeglasses, with name/name board are not allowed.  Applicant should be in decent attire with collar.  Picture must be of good quality, and taken within the last six (6) months.
  • For illegitimate minor, personal appearance of mother is required.
  • Duly accomplished application form.
    • Marriage Contract
    • PRC / IBP ID
    • Land Title
    • Driver’s License
    • Government Service Record
    • Old SSS-E1 form or digitized SSS-ID
    • School Form 137 or Transcript of Records
    • Other documents that show full name and birth details of applicant and/or citizenship
    • Voter’s Registration Record
    • Baptismal Certificate
    • Seaman’s Book
    • Income Tax Return (Old)

New Passport Applicants Requirements:

  • See General Requirements.
  • Birth Certificate (BC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO), for those born 1950 & below, Negative Birth Record from NSO & Joint Birth Affidavit from Two Disinterested Persons if no record from NSO
  • Proof of Identity  i.e. Senior Citizen’s ID, Voter’s ID, digitized government-issued IDs like SSS, PRC, BIR, Driver’s License, original school ID (for students only)
  • NBI Clearance (not required if presenting 2 digitized Identification Cards)
  • Other supporting documents

Passport Renewal Requirements:

Brown Passport or issued prior to 01 May 1995

  • See General Requirements.
  • Old passport and photocopy of passport pages 1,2,3 (amendment). The pages showing latest Bureau of Immigration departure and arrival stamps.
  • Birth Certificate from NSO in Security Paper (SECPA) or Negative Birth Record from NSO if born 1950 & below
  • Other supporting documents

Green Passport or issued after 01 May 1995

  • See General Requirements.
  • Present passport and photocopy of pages 1,2,3 (amendment) inside and back cover.
  • The pages showing latest Bureau of Immigration departure and arrival stamps.
  • Other supporting documents

Other Specific Requirements:

For Seaman

  • Original Seaman’s book and photocopy of data page, and page with latest Philippine departure & arrival stamps by Philippine Immigration.

For married women, who want to use surname of their spouse:

  • Personal Appearance is required.
  • Marriage Contract (MC) in Security Paper issued by NSO OR CTC issued by the Local Civil Registrar duly authenticated by NSO.
  • Certificate of Attendance from CFO (Commission of Filipino Overseas) if married to a foreigner (color green).

For Minors (below 18 years old):

  • Personal appearance of minor with both parents or mother .
  • Personal appearance of minor with mother (if minor is of illegitimate status).
  • Personal appearance of mother (if minor is 7yrs old & below).
  • Passport of person traveling with the minor, original and photocopy
  • Photocopy of Birth Certificate

If traveling with father only

  • Marriage Certificate of parents
  • Affidavit Of Support and Consent from the mother, if child is (8yrs old & below)
  • Original ID w/ signature or passport of mother

If minor is NOT traveling with either parent:

  • Original and photocopy of DSWD Clearance
  • Affidavit of Support and Consent indicating the name of the traveling companion and the relationship to the minor

If both parents are abroad:

  • Affidavit of support and consent indicating the name of the traveling companion and the relationship to the minor (must be authenticated by the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate General)
  • Special Power of Attorney designating the representative by name and authorizing him/her to apply for a passport on behalf of the minor in their stead (must be authenticated by the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate General).
  • Certified True Copy of parents’ passport (must be authenticated by the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate General)
  • Original and photocopy of the passport of person traveling with the minor.
  • Original valid ID w/ signature or passport of the authorized representative.

If illegitimate, traveling with father

  • Affidavit Of Support and Consent from the mother
  • DSWD Clearance, original & photocopy
  • Original ID w/ signature or passport of mother

Additional Reminders and Precaution:

  • Ensure that passport is not mutilated or damaged, otherwise, an Affidavit of Mutilation is necessary.
  • For lost passport, an Affidavit of Loss is needed
  • Do not present fake documents.  This is punishable by law and you could be imprisoned for it.
  • Do not deal with fixers outside of DFA.
  • Never be afraid to ask, but, ask only those personnel of DFA with proper ID.  Do not just line up without verifying what the line is for.

Check this site again in the future on ways to apply for a passport and other passport related updates.

Other related articles you may like:


  1. 1
    Craig // July 17th, 2010 at 1:02 am

    My girlfriend’s passport is currently at the DFA to be released.

    She has the following:

    Birth Certificate (late registered)
    NBI Clearance
    School Transcripts
    Student Permit Driver’s Licence
    Postal ID
    CENOMAR (Certificate of Non Marriage)

    When she attends the DFA, are these documents enough to have her passport released?

    Please reply.

    Thank you.

  2. 2
    urot // July 17th, 2010 at 7:40 pm

    i believe you have more than enough

  3. 3
    Louise Myrabelle Escano // July 28th, 2010 at 11:39 am

    hello.. i would like to apply for a Philippine passport for my daughter who is 2 years old this sept.. i only have her registered birth certificate as the only document that will provide info with regards to her citizenship and date of birth.. she is not yet baptized.. so is it possible that ill be able to get her a passport with the only birth certificate as proof of her identity? thanks.

  4. 4
    yag // August 9th, 2010 at 10:44 pm

    i have my tor, postal id, birth certificte, barangay id, ito lang yun meron ako…would this documents help me to have a passport? kasi i have no voter’s id e…ok na kaya ito?

  5. 5
    urot // August 10th, 2010 at 1:18 pm


    Ok na yan. you have more than enough. just dont forget to bring the general requirements. good luck

  6. 6
    francis chua // August 28th, 2010 at 4:03 am

    hi ask ko lang ang meron ako dito for applying passport is postal id, alumni id,birth certificate,tor,sss-e1 at nbi clearance…ok na po ba to pra mkakuha ng passport?

  7. 7
    joanne // September 14th, 2010 at 10:44 pm

    I would like to ask the requirements for passport application. My son is only 2 years old and the father and I are not yet married but he has an affidavit of acknowledgement attached on his NSO BC. Do I still need to have an Affidavit of Illegitimacy? And what are the other documents needed for him to have passport?
    Pls. do the needful assistance.


  8. 8
    francine // September 14th, 2010 at 10:51 pm


    here lies the situation: my cousin is turning 9 years old and her mother is in U.S. we already have her SPA and Affidavit for Consent to apply for her passport. the father present but the SPA and affidavit were listed under our uncle’s name. does the father needs also his presence on the personal appearance of my cousin or only my uncle as her guardian? does the father needs his passport copy for my cousin to have her own as she’s registered under the name of her mother and not to her father.
    kindly help me to clarify this matter the earliest.
    thank you so much.

  9. 9
    kyle // December 9th, 2010 at 11:17 am


    My passport has been torn apart from page 1 to 22, they told me that i need a affidavit for mutilated passport, but my concern is i have a US visa on page 24 which is undamage, do the dfa just attached that visa to my new passport? thanks

Leave a Comment

Passport Application Requirements |