Sochi, Russia will be the host of the 2014 Winter Olympics on February 7, 2014. The hosting of Sochi has brought the Winter Olympics in Russian for the second time. The first time that Russia hosted the games was during the 1980 Moscow Summer Games.
Sochi won over PyeongChang, South Korea by a mere four votes. The town of Sochi is well know for being a summer vacation resort. This will be the first time that the Winter Olympics will be held in a sub-tropical climate venue.
The venues that will be built in Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics will include:
- Major Ice Arena – ice hockey, 12,000 spectators
- Minor Ice Arena – ice hockey, 7,000 spectators
- Speed skating Centre – speed skating, 8,000 spectators
- Ice Palace – skating, short track speed skating, 12,000 spectators
- Curling Arena – curling, 3,000 spectators
- Olympic Stadium – 40,000 spectators
Outdoor or mountinous events will be held at Krasnaya Polyana, a ski resort in the Western Caucasus.
Several sports may be introduced in the upcoming Sochi Winter Olympics, but, this is still being contested.
1. Ski-orienteering- Skiers will be given a course map with multiple routes and check points. The skier will then navigate the fastest, and smoothest track to the finish line.
2. Ski-mountaineeringA unique blend of sports that could be quite interesting. It combines climbing up the mountain with standard gear and then skiing one’s way back down the mountain.
3. Mixed Biathlon Relay
4. Winter Triathlon
Check this site again in the future for other Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Updates.