The Lyceum of the Philippines University (LPU) – Batangas, formerly Lyceum of Batangas, an ISO 9001:2008 University was awarded the Autonomous status, the highest and most prestigious recognition given by the Commission on Higher Education(CHEd). LPU has four Level 3 accredited programs: Business Administration, Accountancy, Nursing and Liberal Arts. The university also have four Level 2 accredited programs: BS Marine Transportation, BS Marine Engineering, BS HRM, and BS Tourism.
Benefits of Autonomous Status
- Exemption from the issuance of Special Order( S.O ) for their graduates
- Free from regular monitoring and evaluation by CHED. However, in cases when there will be complaints filed against the Private Higher Education Institutions (PHEIs), the CHED may conduct verification, monitoring or investigation activities.
- Priority in the grant of subsidies and other financial incentives/assistance from the Commission on Higher Education whenever funds are available
- Privilege to determine and prescribe their curricular programs to achieve global competence.
- Privilege to offer new course(s)/program(s) in the undergraduate or graduate level without securing permit/authority from CHED except in disciplines that are under moratorium. The Private Higher Education can offer a maximum of two (2) new courses/programs in a given academic year and should ensure that the CHED minimum requirement as embodied in the existing policies, standards and guidelines (PSGs) for a particular course/program are fully complied with.
- Privilege to establish branch/es or satellite campus/es without securing government authority from CHED. The Private Higher Education Institutions should inform the CHED Central Office at least one semester prior to the start of the intended academic year that the new branch/campus shall operate. Privilege to offer extension classes and distance education course(s)/program(s) to expand access to higher education, and to establish affiliation with recognized higher education institutions in pursuit of international standard of education.
- The Private Higher Education Institutions should ensure that the existing CHED PSGs for twinning/networking/linkage programs are fully complied with. The Private Higher Education Institutions should inform the CHED Central Office at least one semester prior to the start of intended academic year such will be offered or established.
- Authority to grant Honoris Causa to those deserving, per pertinent provisions of existing CHED issuance on conferment of honorary degrees.
In 2006, LPU was also awarded by PACUCOA for having the highest number of accredited programs in the country.