There are times that new USB external hard disk cannot be seen by a pc or laptop. To fix this, follow these steps:
- Click Start button at the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Type diskmgmt.msc at the search programs and files input box.
- Press Enter to display the Disk Management Window.
- Right click on the box that represents your new USB external drive in the Disk Management Window.
- Select Change Drive Letter and Paths…
- Click Add.
- Enter the desired drive letter you want for your new drive.
- Click Ok and your computer will now be able to detect your new external drive.
These steps will work in Windows Vista and Windows 7.